Ferndale City Hall Park, intersection of Main and Herbert Sts, Ferndale.
Settled in 1852, Ferndale became the agricultural center of Northern California. The prosperity of the community is reflected in the quality construction of its Victorian style homes, churches and businesses. Spanning one half mile across the Eel River to the village entrance is the 1911 Fernbridge, the largest concrete structure of its time. A walking guide of Ferndale's Victorian Village is available from any shop along Main Street.
Ferndale. This pioneer agricultural community, settled in 1852, helped feed the booming population of mid-century San Francisco. Long known as "Cream City," Ferndale made innovative and lasting contributions to the dairy industry. Local creameries, and the town's role as a transportation and shipping center in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, fostered prosperity which produced Ferndale's outstanding Victorian-Gothic residential and false-front commercial architecture.
California registered historical landmark No. 883.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce Historical Committee and community effort. September 12, 1976.