In Trinidad, off Highway 101. Southwest corner of Ocean and Edwards Streets.
Spanish explorers who landed here in 1775 first dicovered the prehistoric Yurok Indian village of Tsurai. A reservation was established for the Yurok in 1855, but most chose to live at the village that they occupied until 1916. A monument to this ancient Indian tribe was erected overlooking the site of the Tsurai.
Tsurai. Directly below was located the ancient Yurok village of Tsurai, a prehistoric, permanent Indian community. It was first located and described by captains Bodega and Heceta June 9-19, 1775. The houses were of hand-split redwood planks, designed for defense and protection. The village was occupied until 1916.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 838. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Heritage Trinidad and the Humboldt County Historical Society. July 22, 1970.