The northeast corner of 8th and H Streets, Arcata. (707) 822-1758.
Augustus Jacoby built the basement and first story of this structure in 1857, and for the next seven years it served as a refuge during occaisional Indian raids. Various businesses that supplied the region's mines occupied the building until it was sold in 1880. This restored structure is considered among the most beautiful buildings on the Northern California coast.
Jacoby Building: The basement and first story of the building, at 8th and H Streets (opposite), was constructed in 1857 for Augustus Jacoby. For many years it was a principal supply point for the Klamath-Trinity mining camp trade. From 1858 through 1864 it served periodically as a refuge in time of indian troubles. Housing various mercantile firms during its early years, it was acquired by A. Brizard in 1880.
California registered historical landmark No. 783. Plaque placed by the State Park Commission in cooperation with the Humboldt County Historical Society, the City of Arcata, and Brizard Company. June 8, 1963.