The marker is down the road from SHL 838 (Tsurai). It's just down from the lighthouse by a cute red-garaged building with shingle siding. Located at the NW corner of Edwards and Hector Streets in Trinidad.
Trinidad was established in 1850, and was the first town to be settled along the northern California coast. It became a major supply center for the surrounding gold camps. When mining activity ended, Trinidad's population dwindled. Today it's one of California's smallest incorporated cities.
Town of Trinidad.
Founded April 8, 1850, Trinidad is the oldest town on the Northern California Coast. During the 1850's it served as a vital supply link between ships anchored at Trinidad Bay and miners in the Klamath, Trinity, Salmon River, and Gold Bluff mines. It was the county seat of Klamath county (now disbanded) from 1851 until 1854, but its population declined as Eureka and other port cities developed.
California registered historical landmark number 215.
Plaque placed by the state department of parks and recreation in cooperation with the ancient and honorable order of E Clampus Vitus Eureka California Chapter No. 101. June 7, 1981.