3431 Fort Avenue, Eureka. (707) 445-6567.
Fort Humboldt was established in 1853 to provide protection for settlers of this region. Frequent skirmishes between Indians from the surrounding mountains and the "white men", who settled here during the 1850's, usually resulted in innocent men on both sides being killed. Among the soldiers who served at this fort during this period of unrest was Ulysses S. Grant. He was a captain when stationed here in 1854. An original fort structure has been restored and is now used as a museum. Relics from the period 1850-1860 are exhibited.
Fort Humboldt. By the early 1850's, newly arrived white settlers had moved into the Humboldt bay area, causing conflict with the native inhabitants. To protect both Indians and settlers, Fort Humboldt was established in 1853 and operated until 1866. It became a focal point in the violent struggle between two cultures. Many Native Americans were assembled here before removal to reservations.
California registered historical landmark No. 154.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the ancient and honorable order of E. Clampus Vitus, Eureka chapter No. 101. May 10, 1980.